1. From what founding documents and principles of U.S. government has American health care law evolved?
2. Briefly describe the role of the judicial branch and how it relates to the work of the legislative branch.
3. What is the composition of the executive branch? What are two of its historic health-related priorities?
4. How does the Federal Trade Commission protect American health care?
5. What does the regulation of nanotechnology have in common with regulation by the FDA?
Chapter 3 Review Questions
6. Are public health programs more susceptible to health care fraud than private health care programs? Why or why not?
7. What must the government show to convict providers for violations of the anti-kickback law?
8. Describe the possible sanctions for violations of the False Claims Act.
9. Compliance programs are spreading consistency and transparency in compliance practices throughout the health industry in spite of potential drawbacks. What are some of these potential drawbacks?
10. What is channel stuffing?
Chapter 5 Review Questions
11. Roughly what proportion of the American population has no health insurance? What is the typical income level of this population?
12. What are some proposals for insuring the uninsured?
13. What are some proposals to reduce the cost of health care?
14. Why are tax credits a particularly appealing solution for providing coverage for the uninsured?
15. What steps has the drug industry taken to address rising drug costs for consumers?
Chapter 9 Review Questions
16. With the needs of the middle class in mind, what form of health care system have many Americans come to favor?
17. Under ERISA, what can a harmed patient recover? Can a state bring an ERISA claim on behalf of its citizens?
18. Describe the dilemma presented by the need to cut health care costs and the challenges of rationing care.
19. What would uniform sets of performance measures and mandated disclosure of audited care outcome data provide to patients?
20. In reality, what is the basis for health insurers’ determinations of medical necessity and therefore reimbursement?